10 Spring Home Maintenance Tips
Last Updated On March 14th, 2020 at 12:13 pm
It’s fun to flip through the home & garden fliers that show up in our mailbox this time of year, dream about the possibilities for home improvements, and make plans for the upcoming outdoor season. As I was leafing through a few recent mailers, I noticed that most of them have a handy checklist for spring home maintenance. Obviously, the one you get in your mailbox will have the best list suited to your climate. But I pulled out a top 10 list that applies to nearly every state that we ship our pergola kits to.
- Inspect your A/C unit. If you have central air, give the system a check and make sure it’s in working order before the outside temps start rising. Or call a qualified technician and have them perform your seasonal maintenance.
- Seal up cracks around your doors and windows. Sealing around your windows and doors will keep the cool air inside and help lower power bills this summer.
- Clean gutters. Get out your ladder and clean out any blockages in your gutters that accumulated over the winter so they’re ready for spring rain and summer storms.
- Inspect your roof. If you notice any shingles that are loose or missing, now’s a good time to have those repaired. Check it from a secured ladder or grab a pair of binoculars.
- Check your deck. Give your deck a careful check and to make sure it’s ready for the warmer weather. A coat of new weatherproofing stain or paint can bring it back to life.
- Care for your pergola. Add a coat of stain, paint, or sealant to your wood pergola after it’s assembled and added to your outdoor landscape. This will keep your patio cover looking good and ready for your outdoor entertaining.
- Tune up your lawn mower. Have your mower ready for lawn mowing season by checking the battery, sharpening the blades, and starting it up – just to be sure you’re ready to go once the grass starts to sprout!
- Pressure wash! Rent a pressure washer to clean off accumulated dirt and grime from the siding on your home, driveway, or other outdoor structures.
- Fill in and repair cracks. While you’re pressure washing your exterior surfaces, check for cracks in the driveway and sidewalks and fill them in.
- Clean the windows. A good window cleaning inside and out really gives your home a fresh sparkle for Spring!
If you’re just getting started with your spring maintenance, have fun getting your outdoors ready for the outdoor party season and consider adding a pergola to create a nice cover to your neat & tidy space!